The Cub Reporter
However many students are dissatisfied with this registration fee agreement.
The plan for using returned tuition fees
According to the GSC's statement, there are 10 points to the agreement with the SA.
1. Of the 7.5 percent (Freshman: 8.5 percent) of the raised registration fee, 1.5 percent is controlled. But 0.5 percent of the raised registration fee will be refunded to students by T-money traffic card reserve fund. And 1 percent will be used for the GSC's budget to improve student welfare.
2. As a part of the student welfare improvement project, the amount of scholarship money for top student in each class will be doubled.
3. Establishing new scholarship provided by the banks on our campus.
4. Constructing a 100m long escalator at the back gate, in 2007.
5. Establishing scholarships for disabled or those in financial difficulties.
6. Hold Dongguk Cinema Day? establish go to World University?program and hold a career fair.
7. Constructively support various kinds of events planned by student organizations.
8. Remodel 140 classrooms and 110 laboratories in 2007.
9. Support the construction of a dormitory and a new technology center.
10. Organize round-table talks schedule.
Q: How will one percent of the refunded tuition fee be used? Does it include in the final agreement?
A: Dongguk Cinema Day and the go to the World University?program will use part of the 1 percent budget of the controlled registration fee. Escalator construction will also come from this budget, but other plans are not yet definitely settled.
Q: What are the plans for Dongguk Cinema Day?
A: Dongguk Cinema Day has been held in Main Auditorium. But the conditions, including sound and lighting, are poor. So, we planned to lease a theater near Dongguk University for a day.
Q: What is the timetable for constructing the dormitory and new technology center?
A: Escalator construction will start in the spring semester and finish in 2007. And construction of the new technology center will start between July 31st and August 31st.
Q: How about the scholarships included in the final agreement?
A: Increasing scholarships for top student in each lecture is being planned. And newly established scholarships for the disabled or those under finacial difficulties is already being implimented.
Student's opinions and complaints
Many students said that they agree with using registration fee for student welfare. But students are dissatisfied with the GSC because it doesn't communicate with students and didn't inform them about what it will do with the 1 percent (about seven hundred million won) of the registration fee. On the school website and websites like DCinside, there are lot of Donggukians complaints. Some students complain about the way of repayment. And other Donggukians said that many of the GSC's plans are unrealistic. For example, the GSC's plan to construct an escalator and remodel classrooms and laboratories in 2007, is unrealistic because the construction has not started yet. It will be impossible to finish construction in this year. Despite GSC's ambitious plans, Donggukians complain that events like Cinema Day and Round Table repetitive. And many Donggukians especially think that Cinema Day is a waste of money.
The GSC asserted that it did its best to freezing tuition fee. However, many Donggukians complain about the final plan of the tuition fee and the GSC. The GSC represents Donggukians. They should listen to student's thoughts and their opinion and make an effort to be their voice.
The GSC should make sure that the SA spends the tuition fee properly. And Donggukians must make sure that the GSC uses its budget appropriately. The GSC must consider various ideas and seek what is best to students. They should think what is the more efficient way to serve students. Also, students should not be passive consider but, rather, make a "group" that could investigate the GSC and find out what it is doing.
Lee Min-jeong firstname.lastname@example.org
<저작권자 © 동국포스트, 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지>