One hundred people have been walking from Jindo to Seoul for one hundred days. The parade, “Urissal Jikigi 100in 100il Undong," was sponsored by the Committee for Resurrecting Agriculture. Its purpose is to protect our rice farmers and it began on July 1 and will continue till October 13. What do they want to accomplish through the parade?
Today our farmers are in crisis because the government decided to open Korea's rice market in 2004. Considering the rice producing system of Korea, rice produced by Koreans can't compete with imported rice produced by foreign countries. Rice is the base of Korean agriculture. So the failure of rice farming is equal to the failure of all Korean agriculture. “We want to feel farmers' pain, listen to about their opinions and inform local residents about the intention of this parade,”said Kim Jae-hyoung, a member of the Committee for Resurrecting Agriculture.
Originally, two farmers who worried about the future of Korean agriculture started this parade. Soon 98 people joined them. Most of the 98 are boys and girls under the age of 19. Jung Kyong-sik, the head of the Committee for Resurrecting Agriculture, said that he wants more university students and adults to participate. Lastly, he said, “If you are interested in this parade after reading this article, join the parade.”You can get more information from www.refirm.org
1. After walking in front of a lodging house, they listen to an address about need of protecting our rice farmers.
2. Three high school students are walking beside a truck advertising the parade.
3. Even a baby is joining this parade to announce that this parade is for our children, too.
4. The director of this parade, Kim Jae-hyung, is speaking to local residents while walking.
5. They are walking along the side of a road.
6. A flag for this parade is strongly streaming in the wind.
Park Min-hee firstname.lastname@example.org
<저작권자 © 동국포스트, 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지>